Friday 31 May 2013

My Fantasy Pharmacy

People are allowed fantasy football teams, so why shouldn't I be allowed my own little fantasy pharmacy?

Now people, I want you to contribute to this post. So let me know if I haven't included your desert Island drug and why you think my pharmacy should stock it, and I shall put it on the shelves if I deem it worthy. Tweet me @SparkleWildfire, leave a comment, or drop me an email at inthecityofthefuture@gmail.com. I'm going to start off small with this post, and add to it gradually.

With all this talk of pharmacy as a quack trade, and the lack of evidence base for many OTC products, my pharmacy is going to have the bare minimum. Only the drugs I want to sell, ad that I think are necessary, with none of the extraneous, shiny combination packs that are purely there for profit. 

So, welcome into my emporium of evidence-base, and help yourself to some expert advice, a healthy dose of skepticism, and a pinch of thriftiness.

Shelf One: Pain Relief
Paracetamol: because it is an effective painkiller and antipyretic with few side effects. 
Ibuprofen: again, an effective painkiller and antipyretic. Needs more caution because of side effects, but still useful to have over the counter.
Sumatriptan: a good shout, thanks for your comment, Joanne. This is actually a really useful product to have OTC, in my opinion- its for migraines, so its great for regular sufferers to have easy access to if they don't have their usual meds to hand. But it does needs to be sold very carefully, with good questioning and counselling. 

Shelf Two: Coughs and Colds
Sudafed: just the plain old pseudoephedrine variety. Its the most effective decongestant over the counter (phenylephrine has much less of an effect orally) and can be combined with paracetamol or ibuprofen if there is pain associated with blocked sinuses.
Lemons and Honey: for combining with hot water for soothing throats and coughs. About as effective as any other cough mixture.
Glycerin, Lemon and Honey Mixture: as above, but ready made for when you don't have access to a kettle. Also: its quite delicious. 
I would include a night time product too, but I'm not sure which one yet. I don't want to include Night Nurse because its got far too many ingredients in it, and no one should have to take medicines they don't need. My product would just have diphenhydramine and paracetamol in it, probably, just something to help you sleep when you have that awful achey can't breathe feeling that comes with colds. 
Menthol crystals: for adding to steam inhalations. Inhaling the vapours of a  couple of those bad boys in boiling water will have your mucus cowering and crying in a corner. 
Xylometazoline nasal spray: an option for people with bad congestion who can't take pseudoephedrine.
Pholcodine cough medicine: As voted for by Kev. Its cheap enough, and acts to suppress a dry, tickly cough. Shouldn't be used in chesty coughs though. 

Shelf Three: Ear problems
Olive oil: there is no reason whatsoever for any of the other products to exist. Plain old cheap olive oil will do the job just as well as anything else.
Dropper: for administering the olive oil. 

Shelf Four: Allergies
Generic beclomethasone nasal spray: cheap, works if used in advance of the hayfever season.
Antihistamine tablets (generic): Chlorphenamine, loratadine, and cetirizine. Exactly the same as the hugely expensive branded varieties. chlorphenamine can cause drowsiness, the other two tend to be much of a muchness- some people find one works for them, some the other.
Cheap anti-allergy eye drops: great for people that have predominantly eye symptoms.


That's a little start, and I shall add to it when I think of anything else or get a chance.

Hxxx